Frankincense Oil: Top benefits for your skin, body and mind
What is frankincense?
Frankincense is an ancient oil used for thousands of years. It comes from the Boswellia tree, which is native in the southern Arabian Peninsula. It is one of the three gifts that the three Biblical wise men presented to baby Jesus, and it has been used in incense, medicine, and cosmetics for centuries.
Of course, not every ancient remedy can stand the test of time (let’s all agree never to bring leeches back). But frankincense oil is truly a natural powerhouse. Here is why:
What can frankincense do for your skin?
Skin is so important. Your skin one of the first things people notice about you. It is also your body’s first defense against a ton of environmental stressors, germs, free radicals, sun damage, and weather. Because of this, our hard-working skin tends to develop signs of aging, scars, wrinkles, weathering, and sagging over time.
Luckily, frankincense naturally protects, renews, and tightens your skin. When smoothing into your skin, frankincense:
- Is a natural wrinkle fighter, especially for micro-wrinkles around the eyes and cheeks
- Promotes cell regeneration: Replaces old or dying cells with new, healthy cells!
- Tones and tightens skin
- Reduces inflammation
- Reduces skin discoloration and imperfections
- Tightens skin
- Helps fade scars, stretch marks, and sun spots
- Speeds healing of minor wounds and insect bites
- Protects from infection
What are the bodily benefits of frankincense?
Our bodies are complex but taking care of them doesn’t have to be. When it comes to holistic health, frankincense is an impressive all-around oil. Frankincense, when applied to the body:
- Penetrates cells to support cellular function & circulation
- Reduces inflammation and joint pain with active agent Boswellic acid
o Inflammation is the root of many chronic diseases, such as arthrisis, asthmas, Chrohn’s, and even bladder, pancreatic, and skin cancers. Boswellic acid shows promise in treating these diseases.
- Can help balance hormones
o Especailly estrogen production—used to help regulate menstrual cycles and alleviate symptoms during menopause
- Known to improve memory
- May fight cancer - Research shows that Frankincense may halt cancer cell growth and shut down cancer cells. This is because frankincense re-sets the cell’s corrupted DNA.
How can frankincense improve your mental health?
Frankincense is used in aromatherapy. It deepens breathing by opening up respiratory passages. It has a woody, calming, and grounding scent which has helped some people manage their depression and anxiety. Since it is non-toxic, non-irritant, and non-allergenic, it is safe to use, including during pregnancy.
Frankincense has been known to
- Helps manage depression and chronic anxiety
- Balances and regulates extreme emotion
- Soothes perpetual restlessness
- Improves concentration and focus
- Relaxes mind and assists in meditating
It is important to remember that scientific research on frankincense, like many other essential oils, can be difficult to find. However, common usage evidence, shared traditional evidence, and emerging studies point to the powerful benefits of this ancient oil for your skin, body, and mind.
Wonder for Wrinkles! is handmade with organic frankincense oil
The Health Honey skincare is based on organic ingredients and small batch, handmade processes. Try our best-selling Wonders for Wrinkles! Antioxidant Facial Oil, a powerful blend featuring organic frankincense oil that lifts and tightens, hydrates, and makes your skin truly glow. Then, for whole body brilliance, try our new Wonders for Wrinkles! Whipped Body Butter, a deeply moisturizing blend featuring frankincense that boosts collagen production and slows aging. Check out our shop to find out more.